Nature of the Mind [Mind Body Problem]
- The distinction between physical and mental process.
Psyche as the seat of consciousness (mind)
- Thinking, feeling, willing
- Consciousness and self consciousness.
- Physical events are public, mental events private.
- What is the relationship b them?
Are human beings material beings? If so how do we explain the difference between the physical and the mental?
1. Physical ism. (epiphenomenolosm.
4. Neutral Monism.
No answer philosophy or neuro science.
What are we as human beings? (I).
Mind, thinking, imagination - form images.
Feeling = wide domain
Willing => initiate action
Conformity according to a pattern.
Consciousness - awareness- higher level self.
Awareness of being aware.
Socrates Psyche I | thinking not
in charge | feeling visible
subject | willing senses
| self consciousness psychological
power to identify inward private
Peculiar to human beings
experience | |
activity | |
events | |
This happens in body and effects mind.
Drink too much, then mind goes.
Emotion neuron firing?
Quality of music. Beethoven 8th symphony
Is the mind something distant?