Mind Body Problem
- What am I? A human being! What is a human being? What is the I? which wants and expresses itself in what it says and does constantly?
- General components. Body and mind. The first is an object of space, the second is not.
- What is mind? Mental activity, Consciousness? Psyche? Spirit? Soul?
But we know what it does, thinking, walking, feeling
- Useful emotions, moods, desires, strives, hope
- Consciousness and self-consciousness.
- Consciousness of Time [Past, Present, Future].
Body's physical event [Public].
Mind - mental events [Private].
What is the states of mental events?
How are they related to physical events?
- Are mental events, physical events of some kind?
- Can the scientists see an emotion or an idea under the microscope?
The quality of a feeling of a color or the way I feel about such qualities?
- How about self-consciousness?
- I have an idea of this black board- is my idea black?
- There seems to be an interaction between mental and physical events: if you or something hits me, I think and am conscious of pain. An idea in my mind can produce a physical event: or action.
Material Monism. Epiphenomenelism.
Berkley Idealism [Matter does not exist=atom, substance, substratum.
Realists - in addition to what we see- matter substratum.
Relation between events to make an object we see..
| Draw circle - |
| Object O ----qualities we see
Onion is peeled. _
Matter is a lump or cluster of atoms= substratum.
Test If you mean my matter a substratum [atom] a special kind of stuff atom...] then I assert that matter does not exist.
Argument. Esse is percipi= to be is to be perceived (by some mind.
Furniture may be moved (memory is not reliable)
God exists because the world exists.
Blind can not say color exists. Senses must experience color.
Onion is unpeeled. What happens to the onion?
An object is the synthesis of all qualities we experience.
objects = conceptual construct.
world = Concepual construct
atom? No one sees an atom.
1. simple particle
2. Atom is a complex - a construct
We percieve things to show this.
We make theries.
Philosophy of mind. I
Animals can not say I MY MIND My body
Expression implies I sence of perception.
my - ness |
mine - ness | experience
Eyes is window to I
I subject Socrates - psyche
1. Internal reality Private (subjective)
psyche' = seat of consciousness = soul (mind, spirit)
Thinking (Knowing, believing, re3asoning, judging...
Feel different from emotion
Feeling: Power [mechanism by which we feel
all the mental states ans activities...
object | striving - drive
of | beautiful
feeling | love