My research interests lie in the areas of epidemiology of cancer, time-to-event data, and high dimensional and functional data. My ongoing cancer research has focused on indices crucial to public health planning, specifically incidence, mortality, and survival rates. More recently, my research has branched out into the theory of probability distributions, Bayesian inference, and RNA sequencing data.
- Sharaf, T., Williams, T., Chehade, A., and Pokhrel, K. , ``BLNN: An R Package for Training Neural Networks Using Bayesian Inference". Vol 11, 100432, SoftwareX, 2020.
- Pokhrel, K. , Sharaf, T., Bhandari, P., and Ghimire, D., ``Farm Exit among Smallhoder Farmers of Nepal: A Bayesian Logistic Regression Models Approach". Agricultural Research, 2020, DOI 10.1007/s40003-020-00465-4.
- Aryal, G., Pokhrel, K., Khanal, N., and Tsokos, C., ``Reliability Models Using the Composite Generalizers of Weibull Distribution". Annals of Data Science, 6 (4), pp.807-829, 2019.
- Wong, D., Plumb, J., Talab, H., Kurdi, M., Pokhrel, K., and Oelkers, P., `` Genetically compromising phospholipid metabolism limits Candida albicans’ virulence". Mycopathologia, January 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11046-019-00320-3.
- Kafle, R., , Pokhrel, K., Khanal, N., and Tsokos , C., ``Differential equation model of carbon dioxide emission using functional linear regression'', Journal of Applied Statistics, November 2018. doi: 10.1080/02664763.2018.1542667.
- Oelkers, P., and Pokhrel, K., ``Four Acyltransferases Uniquely Contribute to Phospholipid Heterogeneity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae". Lipid Insights 9:31. November 2016, DOI: 10.4137/LPI.S40597.
- Co-Investigator: NIH Grant (2019), 1R15GM134389-01, Elucidating the mechanisms within and among enzymes that coordinate and regulate phospholipid acyl chain composition. (PI: Oelkers, P.)
- Statistician: International Social Survey Program Religion IV study: Cross National Comparative Study of Religion in Nepal, 2019. Templeton Religion Trust, National Opinion Research Center (NORC), University of Chicago. (PI: Ghimire, D.)
- Faculty Professional Development Grant (2019), University of Michigan-Dearborn.
- UM-Dearborn Scholars Grant, University of Michigan-Dearborn, 2018. Leukemia Survival Time and Effect of Treatments in Great Lakes Region. (PI: Pokhrel, K.)
- Research Initiation and Development Grant, University of Michigan-Dearborn, 2016. Disparities in Childhood Cancer Incidence and Mortality Rates around Great Lakes. (PI: Pokhrel, K.)
Publication/Presentations by Undergraduate Students
- Williams,T., Smith, Z., Seewald, A., Faculty Advisors: Pokhrel, K., and Sharaf, T., Survival Analysis of Young Leukemia Patients. SIAM Undergraduate Research Online (SIURO), July 2019, DOI: 10.1137/19S019085.
- Williams, T., Survival of Young Leukemia Patients", Poster Presentation at The ASAs Symposium on Data Science and Statistics, Reston, VA, 2018 and Annual Data Science Symposium Ann Arbor, 2018.
- Smith, Z., Treating Leukemia in Youth", Poster Presentation at The ASAs Symposium on Data Science and Statistics, Reston, VA, 2018 and Annual Data Science Symposium Ann Arbor, 2018.
- Postel, J., Statistical Exploration of Leukemia Mortality Data, The 12th Annual UNCG Regional Mathematics and Statistics Conference, November 2016 and UM-Dearborn Mathematics Statistics Colloquium, 2016. Joshua won best presentation award at UNCG.
- Wagerson, B., Disparities in Childhood Mortality Rates in the Great Lakes Region, MAA Ohio Section Meeting, October 2016, and CASL Undergraduate Research Showcase, 2017.
Refereed Poster Presentations
- Pearl G. Lee, Pokhrel, K., Herman, W., Poster Presentation on "Fall Risk in Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes: Eight-Year Follow-up Analysis of the Look AHEAD Study", American Diabetes Association's 79th Scientific Sessions, June 7-11, 2019.
- Rabita Mahaseth, Pokhrel, K., Jeanty, J., Khalid, J., Shidham, V., Poster Presentation on "How Dependable is HPV Testing Alone as a Primary Screening Tool for Cervical Cancer", USCAP 107th Annual Meetings, Vancouver, BC, Canada, March 17-23, 2018.